The castle of Brunico is located on an easily accessible hill above the city of Brunico.
The episcopal castle overtowers the roofs of the city of Brunico as if still today it had to mount guard on the inhabitants. Bishop Bruno von Kirchberg had the castle constructed in 1251 - 1288 in order to have his territory protected in Val Pusteria. At the same time he also started building city a at the foot of this mighty building, which were the foundations of the city of Brunico.
Already in the 14th century the castle was enlarged by the Bishop Albert von Enn, who also had a circular wall built round the fortress. Under the rule of various other bishops the castle was repeatedly enlarged in the following centuries. Only the archbishop Christoph von Schroffenstein had the castle changed to its residence. Under this bishop the castle also became its present form.
The late Gothic southern portal dates back to the year 1584, which once upon a time was only accessible via a drawbridge, represents the main entrance of the castle. Behind this gate a mighty donjon rises, which is the most ancient part of the castle. Inside you can also see numerous coats of arms of the bishops who resided in this castle in the course of time. However, great parts of the frescoes in the castle are dulled and no longer recognizable. Nevertheless the special castle atmosphere every year attracts a large number of peope to the hill above the chief city of Val Pusteria. Also events such as seminars, special adventure days for kids, concerts and festivals are staged in the castle.
In summer 2011 the extreme alpinist Reinhold Messner inaugurated his fifth mountain museum in the frame of the “Messner Mountain Museums”, short MMM. It is an interactive museum, which is above all dedicated to mountain people such as the Sherpa, Mongols or Hunza. This museum is called “MMM Ripa”.
Castello di Brunico - MMM Ripa
Tourist office Brunico
Tel: +39 0474 555722