In Caldaro, so to speak along the famous Wine Road and in one of the best-known wine-growing areas of South Tyrol, you can visit the South Tyrolean Wine Museum.
Image gallery: South Tyrol Museum of Wine
The South Tyrol Museum of Wine informs its visitors about the history of wine-growing in South Tyrol and is located in the centre of Caldaro. As first museum of wine on the southern side of the Alps, this museum has already been founded in 1955. In those days it was lodged at Castel Ringberg, located above Lake Caldaro. Only in 1986 it was relocated to the centre of Caldaro and is now hosted by the former tithe cellar of a Counts’ of Tyrol estate.
The permanent exhibition illustrates the history of viticulture in South Tyrol by a large number of exhibits. The focus is set on the work in the vineyard, the production and storage of wine. However, also glass and ceramic artefacts, wine and religion as well as original farmers’ implements such as wine barrels, casks or wine presses are part of the exhibition. As also other famous museums such as Castel Tirolo and the Archaeological Museum of Bolzano, also the Wine Museum belongs to the provincial museums of this province.
Outside, however, there is a wine trail, offering a great view on the Monte di Mezzo and Castel Chiaro as well as Lake Caldaro and providing information on new practices in wine-growing. Remarkable are above all the ancient trestles, which are no longer used in modern wine-growing. Also the types of vines that can be admired in the wine garden are no longer cultivated today.
Open from April 1 to November 11
Tuesdays to Saturdays from 10 am to 5 pm
Sundays and feast days from 10 am to 12
Closed on Mondays and November 1
> South Tyrol Wime Museum
Via dell’Oro 1, Caldaro
tel: +39 0471 963168
fax: +39 0471 963168