The “white gold”, a high-quality marble, brought Lasa international fame and is employed in innumerable pieces of art.
The municipality of Lasa is located in the middle of the Val Venosta, between 832 and 3,545 m asl. Comprising the localities of Alliz, Oris, Tanas and Cengles, Parnetz and the main place Lasa, the municipality counts a total of 4,000 inhabitants.
First mentioned in 1209 under the name Laz, already in the Roman era marble has been extracted in the valley of Lasa, even if the systematic extraction has only started in the 19th century. So far several significant pieces of art have been created, employing the so-called “white gold”, such as the Pallas-Athene in front of the parliament in Vienna or the Grand Central Terminal in Manhattan, New York. In 1947, by order of the American Battle Monument Commission, 86,000 grave crosses for American soldiers who died in Europe were fabricated employing the marble of Lasa.
However, Lasa has got much more to offer, from a fairytale natural landscape to impressive sights and of course the famous apricots of Lasa.