This striking castle rises above Campo Tures in Valle Aurina.
The majestic castle of Campo Tures perfectly fits the scenery in which it is located, as the high mountains of the valley serve as background. The castle is located at 957 m asl on a natural elevation belonging to Acereto (Valle Aurina) and it seems at if the castle would keep in sight the entrance of the valley.
In succession of “Castel Tobel”, Tures Castle has been mentioned for the first time in 1225. Around 1315 the lords of Tures were in possession of the castle but when the last member of this family died (1349) the castle continually deteriorated. At those times the castle included a donjon, a residential tower and one further building. Only under the dukes of Austria, the castle has been expanded in the 15th century. Ludwig Lobmayr reovated the castle for the first time in the early 20th century and in 1945 Hieronymus Gassner provided for maintenance works.
The Romanic part of the castle dates back to the Lords of Tyrol, while the Gothic part was built by the Bishops of Bressanone. Donjon, residential tower with double arched windows and the Roman chapel date back to the 13th century. The new buildings such as the so-called Brunnerhaus, drawbridges and wall walks were added in 1500 and in 1977 in Tures Castle the “Südtiroler Burgeninstitut” (South Tyrolean castle institute) was inaugurated.
For the most part the castle is today open to the public. Furniture in the 64 rooms is near-completely intact and old tiled stoves heat the residential rooms. Pine panelling, frescos by Pacher in the chapel, armoires dating back to different eras, armaments and a huge library provide a special insight into the history of the castle.
Tel.: +39 0474 678053