Maria Trens is the chief village of Campo di Trens and harkens back on a long tradition as pilgrimage site.
Maria Trens is located at 987 m asl and has been first mentioned as “Torrentes”. Trens has got some 700 inhabitants and is an ideal starting point for experiencing the landscape, as Vipiteno and the side valleys of the Wipptal are all within easy reach.
On foot you can walk to Castel Tasso, one of the most precious castle complexes of South Tyrol from a historic view. At the foot of this castle, there is a climbing rock face with rather easy routes (6 up to 5 a, 1 up to 6a). To those, however, who prefer moving along horizontally, we recommend the keep-fit-trail from Trens to Valgenauna with its 16 exercising stations.
The main attraction of Trens is, however, the Maria Trens pilgrimage church. Already in the 14th century Trens was known as pilgrimage site and already in 1407 there used to be a weekly mass, that was donated by the Lords of Trauttson. This pilgrimage site had its golden age around 1500, from the incomes the new parish church of Trens was built. Today there is also a pilgrimage trail stretching in the village.
By the way: since recently between Trens and Stilves, there is a new natural monument, which is the Bliegerteich pond, in the surroundings of which alder trees, willows and cottonwoods grow.