Bordering on the neighbouring municipality of Appiano and surrounded by orchards and vineyards, there is the village of Pianizza di Sopra.
Pianizza di Sopra is located at 604 m asl on the road to Passo Mendola. Once called “Planties superior”, meaning “upper plain terrace”, Pianizza di Sopra is an ancient viticultural area. Even monasteries such as the Tegernsee convent, which was the largest in Bavarian history as well as Wilten, were in possession of huge vineyards in this area.
The centre of Pianizza di Sopra is represented by the S. Giovanni church. Dedicated to S. Giovanni Battista, it was completed in its present form at the end of the 16th century. In the northernmost part of he village, there are remnants of a lake-Gothic tower, the S. Giorgio tower. This place is considered to be the original site of the S. Giorgio church. First mentioned in 1237, this sacred building was restored and enlarged in the course of the 17th century. The emperor Joseph II, however, had the church closed, for this reason it started deteriorating.