The smallest component locality of S. Genesio is called Montoppio.
The name of the village, that is to say Montoppio, or Nobls in German, has been mentioned for the first time in 1290 and derives from the Latin term for “acer” (in opulis). Today Montoppio is the smallest locality that belongs to the municipality of S. Genesio. It is inhabited by some 100 people and is located 1,270 m asl.
Worth seeing is the little S. Valentino church of the 12th century, located in idyllic position and offering a fairy-tale like panoramic view on the valley. Another spectacular viewpoint can be reached passing by the three farms of Montoppio towards the Tschaufen: from this belvedere you can admire the entire Val d’Adige up to Lake Caldaro in the Bassa Atesina.
On the so-called Lahn meadow, there is another natural monument that is worth to be visited. Surrounded by meadows and forests, the earth pillars of S. Genesio stick out of the red loamy soil of a slumping area.
Our tip: a walk on the low mountain range of the Tschoeggelberg to the Gschnoferstall to Frassineto in the village of Meltina.