The mills of Aldino along the Rio Thal stream are today one of the many interesting sights in the south of South Tyrol.
The little village of Aldino is situated at an altitude between 1,200 and 1,500 m a.s.l. Until the 1950s it was - today unimaginable - only accessible via a cart track from Montagna, Bronzolo and Nova Ponente. The farmers had to be self-sufficient and cultivated mainly grain, which was ground in the numerous mills along the Rio Thal stream. In 1611 there were already 10 mills documented, in the Theresian cadastre of 1775 there are already 31, and in 1911 a peak of 42 mills along the Rio Thal stream in Aldino was mentioned.
After the construction and opening of the road in 1958/59, the outside world became accessible: People migrated, and the farmers were no longer dependent on the grain. The mills were abandoned and fell into decay, until a few years ago when the Aldino Museum Association decided to save the cultural assets and make the mills functional again.
As a result, you can still admire the Schmiede, the Schiasser, Matzneller and Thal Mills, the Stampfer Saw and the Lady of the Snows Chapel along the Rio Thal stream. And how to reach the Aldino Mill Ensemble? The recommendable Aldino Mill Path (a circular walk of 1 hour) starts at the car park near the fire station on the road to Monte San Pietro: The mills can only be reached on foot. In the village itself there is another sight, which is run by the Aldino Museum Association: the Aldino Local Museum with "The Treasure of the Thalhof".