Silence, peaceful silence awaits visitors in the historic Carthusian Monastery “Allerengelsberg” in the Val Senales valley.
The Val Senales valley offers its visitors, besides several interesting sights, such as the archeoParc Val Senales, also some historical places. One of them was founded in 1326 by the Tyrolean sovereign King Henry of Bohemia: the Carthusian Monastery Allerengelsberg - "Kartäuserkloster Allerengelsberg" in German, "Convento Certosino Monte degli Angeli" in Italian. Six years later the monastery, which had space for 12 monks, was opened and remained in use for more than four centuries, until it was closed in 1782 by Emperor Joseph II.
The monks lived a strict life according to the rules of St. Bruno, founder of the Carthusian order and plague saint. Each had his own little house next to the cloister, where he lived in silence and devoted himself entirely to prayer, penance and meditation. The farmers of the valley had to pay levies to the monastery so that its survival was ensured. In 1924 the village of Certosa was devastated by a fire, but many details of the monastery have been preserved.
Today, the cloister, the curtain walls with the loopholes, the Church of St. Anne, the crucifixion group below the cemetery and the small Entombment of Christ Chapel can still be visited. The prior's house and the monastery kitchen are also still recognisable from the outside. In summer, art exhibitions are sometimes held in the cloister. And how to reach the monastery? It is situated in the centre of Certosa, 14 km from Naturno. A car park and bus stop are nearby (bus line 261).