villanders kloster saeben
villanders kloster saeben

Sabiona Monastery

The rock spur enthroned by the former Sabiona Monastery is considered to be one of the most ancient pilgrimage sites of Tyrol

The Sabiona Monastery - "Kloster Säben" in German, "Monastero di Sabiona" in Italian - towers up a striking rock spur, known as "Acropolis of Tyrol". The complex lies embedded in vineyards and forest, about 200 metres above the town of Chiusa. This area was already settled in the Neolithic period. Later on, instead of the monastery there was a late Roman settlement. Furthermore, archaeological findings testify that from this place the Christian faith was spread all over South Tyrol. The still existing Church of the Holy Cross, which can be visited today, was seat of the bishopric of Sabiona until around 1000 AD when the seat was transferred to Bressanone.

More than three centuries - from 1687 to 2021 - this monastery was a Benedictine monastery and was first inhabited by the nuns of Nonnberg close to Salzburg. In 1699, the Sabiona Monastery was elevated to a convent and Maria Agnes Zeillerin was elected the first abbess. Until November 2021, when the monastery was permanently closed, nuns lived here according to the rule of St. Benedict of Nursia: "Ora et labora et lege" (Pray and work and read). It is currently managed by the Diocese of Bressanone-Bolzano, the beautiful churches can be visited. On the Sabiona rock spur, the Holy Mountain, there are the Anniversary Fountain as well as four churches: the Chapel of Mercy (Lady Chapel), the Monastery Church, the Church of Our Lady and the Church of the Holy Cross.

In 2024, the Cistercian monks of the Heiligenkreuz Abbey near Vienna have decided after several visits to settle in and live in the Sabiona Monastery, in order to turn it again into a religious site with pastoral service. And how to reach it? It is only accessible by foot. Starting from the town of Chiusa, you can reach it within a 45-minutes' walk on the Sabiona Promenade, along the Via Cruxis, however, within 30 minutes only. Also the Chestnut Trail, stage 4, leads past the Holy Mountain, whereas in the valley the Valle Isarco Cycle Path snakes its way past Chiusa.

Contact info

Opening times

  • Tue 23 Jul 08:00 - 17:00
  • Wed 24 Jul 08:00 - 17:00
  • Thu 25 Jul 08:00 - 17:00
  • Fri 26 Jul 08:00 - 17:00
  • Sat 27 Jul 08:00 - 17:00
  • Sun 28 Jul 08:00 - 17:00
  • Mon 29 Jul 08:00 - 17:00

Despite careful control we cannot guarantee the correctness of the provided data.

Full timetables
Despite careful control we cannot guarantee the correctness of the provided data.

Church of the Holy Cross - spring 2024 (18/03/2024 - 09/06/2024)

  • Mon 08:00 - 17:00
  • Tue 08:00 - 17:00
  • Wed 08:00 - 17:00
  • Thu 08:00 - 17:00
  • Fri 08:00 - 17:00
  • Sat 08:00 - 17:00
  • Sun 08:00 - 17:00

Easter 2024 (31/03/2024) 08:00 - 17:00

Easter Monday 2024 (01/04/2024) 08:00 - 17:00

Liberation Day 2024 (25/04/2024) 08:00 - 17:00

Labor Day 2024 (01/05/2024) 08:00 - 17:00

Whit Monday 2024 (20/05/2024) 08:00 - 17:00

Republic Day 2024 (02/06/2024) 08:00 - 17:00

Church of the Holy Cross - summer 2024 (10/06/2024 - 08/09/2024)

  • Mon 08:00 - 17:00
  • Tue 08:00 - 17:00
  • Wed 08:00 - 17:00
  • Thu 08:00 - 17:00
  • Fri 08:00 - 17:00
  • Sat 08:00 - 17:00
  • Sun 08:00 - 17:00

Feast of the Assumption 2024 (15/08/2024) 08:00 - 17:00

Church of the Holy Cross - autumn 2024 (09/09/2024 - 30/11/2024)

  • Mon 08:00 - 17:00
  • Tue 08:00 - 17:00
  • Wed 08:00 - 17:00
  • Thu 08:00 - 17:00
  • Fri 08:00 - 17:00
  • Sat 08:00 - 17:00
  • Sun 08:00 - 17:00

All Saints 2024 (01/11/2024) 08:00 - 17:00

Admission

three of the four churches are freely accessible

monastery itself is not accessible to the public

More information

The opening hours refer to the Church of the Holy Cross, the other churches:

Chapel of Mercy open daily from 8 am to 5 pm (all year round)
Church of Our Lady open from July to October every Tuesday from 2 pm to 5 pm
Monastery Church currently closed due to the closure of the monastery

Archeological and historical documentation available in the Church of the Holy Cross and in the Church of Our Lady.

Suggest an edit/correction

Our editorial staff is always committed to ensuring the highest quality and accuracy of the information we publish. If you have suggestions to improve this page you can send them to us using the form below. Thank you in advance!

Close

Suggested accommodations

Tips and more infos