The Aldino Local Museum, an exceptional museum rich in sacred treasures, is dedicated to the “Treasure of the Thalhof”
The little village of Aldino has several interesting sights to offer, all of which are run by the local museum association. These include the mill ensemble along the Rio Thal, the visitor centre of the GEOPARC Rio delle Foglie and the small Aldino Local Museum - "Dorfmuseum Aldein" in German, "Museo Locale di Aldino" in Italian. The latter is located directly at the village square and was once conceived as a real village museum, which should tell of the life in Aldino and its surroundings over the centuries.
In the 1980s, the so-called "Treasure of the Thalhof" was found, sacral objects from the Baroque and Rococo period, which came from the St. Mary of the Snows Chapel in the valley. This chapel was built by the Baroni von Ehrenfeld family in the 18th century and was richly furnished by them until the individual treasures were stored in the attic of the Thalhof farm and forgotten.
Valuable paintings, coins and medals from private collections complete the exhibition since 2000 and show the piety of the population at that time as well as the faith in the protection of saints and martyrs. In addition to special features such as a Baroque chalice made in Augsburg in 1750, belt works from Bolzano and portraits of Aldino personalities, an entire room is dedicated to Cardinal Johann Baptist Franzelin, the only cardinal from South Tyrol. And how to reach the museum? It is located at the village square, a parking space is available. On foot a beautiful hike takes you from Bronzolo to Aldino in 3 hours: this "Old Aldino Trail" is the original route to the village.
The Aldino Local Museum stays open from May to October, season start 2024 on May 3.