The venerable residence Castel Thurn in Nova Ponente houses the municipality and the interesting territory museum.
Image gallery: Nova Ponente Territory Museum
In the centre of Nova Ponente (Deutschnofen), Thurn Castle is located, a former Romanesque residential tower from the 13th century which was extended later. The castle-like residence served as a courthouse around 1341 and was owned by the Lords of Niederthor: actually, in the past centuries aristocrats functioned as judges. In 1849, the court of Nova Ponente was finally incorporated into the circuit of Bolzano. In 1911, the municipality of Nova Ponente came into possession of the massive white building and renovated it in 1985.
Today it houses the municipality and the Nova Ponente Territory Museum - "Gebietsmuseum Deutschnofen" in German, "Museo Territoriale di Nova Ponente" in Italian. On the tower floor you will find a valuable collection of religious artworks consisting of altar leaves from the 16th century and early Baroque statues of saints, as well as instruments of consecration and images of saints.
Also finds which document the settlement history of Nova Ponente and the Val d'Ega valley can be admired here: traces of the Middle Stone Age testify that 5000 - 5700 BC people already lived in this area. And how to reach the interesting Nova Ponente Territory Museum? Thurn Castle is located in the centre of the village, behind there is a parking space. A barrier-free access to the building is available via the side entrance.
Despite careful control we cannot guarantee the correctness of the provided data.