Peter Mitterhofer Typewriter Museum

This special museum at Parcines in Merano and surroundings is dedicated to Peter Mitterhofer, inventor of the typewriter.

Peter Mitterhofer was born in 1822 in Parcines (Partschins) and worked as a carpenter, following in the footsteps of his father. In 1864 he developed his first wooden model of typewriter, four more followed in the following years. But he had no recognition at all - only after the death he has been recognised as the inventor of the typewriter. On the occasion of his 100th death anniversary, in 1993 the Typewriter Museum - "Schreibmaschinenmuseum" in German, "Museo delle Macchine da Scrivere" in Italian" - was inaugurated in his birth place, Parcines.

In those days, the museum was hosted temporarily by the former elementary school of Tel, but already in 1997 it was transferred to the new Teisenhaus building, located in the centre of Parcines. Toady it boasts four floors and around 2,000 exhibits, providing an insight into more than 100 years of typewriting history. The exhibition comprises the timespan from 1864, the historic year of invention, up to the Eighties. By dioramas and modern communication media the visitors get illustrated information about this invention and its history of origins. By the way: the last typewriter was produced in 2011 in India in the last factory for mechanical typewriters.

One of the highlights of the museum is the Danish "Malling Hansen", dating back to 1867 and one of the most precious typewriters ever. This Writing Ball won several awards and Malling Hansen himself, inventor of this typewriting machine, received the golden honour-medal. Also the very first typewriter invented by Peter Mitterhofer can be admired in the exhibition. His 4th model, however, is displayed at the Merano Municipal Museum. And how to reach the Peter Mitterhofer Typewriter Museum? It can be found in the centre of Parcines, a parking place is located at the Piazza della Chiesa (Church Square). Parcines can also be reached by bus line 213 from Merano.

Summer opening hours: from June 15 to October 31, 2020
Mondays from 2 pm to 6 pm
from Tuesday to Friday from 10 am to noon time and from 2 pm to 6 pm
Saturdays from 10 am to noon time

every 1st Sunday of the month open from 2 pm to 6 pm, free admission

Winter opening hours: from the beginning of November 2020 to March 31, 2021
Tuesdays from 10 am to noon time
guided tours for groups all year round (upon request), Audioguides in English

7.00 Euros (adults), free for kids under 6 years
2.00 Euros (schoolchildren, students), 6.30 Euros (seniors over 65)
family ticket available (15.00 Euros)
reduction with the Tourist Card
free with the Museumcard or museumobil Card

Further information:
phone: +39 0473 967581,

Currently, access may still be subject to certain restrictions.

Suggest an edit/correction

Our editorial staff is always committed to ensuring the highest quality and accuracy of the information we publish. If you have suggestions to improve this page you can send them to us using the form below. Thank you in advance!


Suggested accommodations

  1. Residence Kronenwirt
    Residence Kronenwirt

    Residence Kronenwirt

  2. Appartement-Hotel Siegi
    Appartement-Hotel Siegi

    Appartement-Hotel Siegi

Tips and more infos