The ground floor of the highest located Benedictine abbey in Europe, Monte Maria, houses the “ora et labora” Monastery Museum.
Image gallery: “ora et labora” Monastery Museum
Since 2007, the well-known Benedictine Abbey of Monte Maria in the Val Venosta valley has been home to a museum. Called "ora et labora", i.e. "pray and work", it takes up the motto of the Benedictine order in its name, and provides an insight into the everyday life of the monastery. Artworks from the founding period, that's to say from the 12th century, are also on display.
The museum is housed in the former economic wing of the monastery, and also organises special exhibitions from time to time with collections from the monastery treasury. During the renovation in 2004-2008, the old building was largely left in its original state, and a second contemporary level was created. In this way, the structural changes of the last centuries can be easily understood, and there are also films and a wide variety of objects to look at.
The crypt houses a special feature: The fresco cycle from the period between 1175 and 1180 is a unique monument of Romanesque art. A large part of these well-preserved paintings was discovered in 1887, but they were not fully uncovered until 1980. You can also visit the library, the Church of St. Stephen, and the exhibition depot. And how to reach the "ora et labora" Monastery Museum - "Klostermuseum" in German, "Museo del monastero" in Italian? On foot the Benedictine Path leads from Burgusio to the monastery, by car there is a road leading from Burgusio towards Slingia/Watles. The car park is in a bend, from there it is another 100 m to the monastery.
- Slingia / Schlinig 1 - 39024 - Malles Venosta / Mals
- +39 0473 843989
Despite careful control we cannot guarantee the correctness of the provided data.
Monastery Museum "ora et labora":
€ 5.50 adults
€ 4.50 groups
€ 3.00 students
free for children up to 14 years (if accompanied by their parents)
free with the Museumcard and museumobil Card
crypt, library, St. Stephen and exhibition depot:
€ 27.00 guided tour (crypt, library and exhibition depot) with museum entry
€ 10.50 guided tour to the library with museum entry
€ 10.50 guided tour to the crypt with museum entry
€ 10.50 guided tour to St. Stephen with museum entry
€ 10.50 guided tour to the deposit with museum entry
€ 7.50 guided tour to the church with museum entry
Closed on Sundays and church holidays. Crypt, library, St. Stephen and exhibition depot are accessible only during a guided tour (dates on request).
In winter open only at the end of the year, the summer season 2023 will start on March 15.