The Romanesque St. Michael Chapel in Fiè allo Sciliar, in the Alpe di Siusi area, houses archaeological finds and sacred art.
Image gallery: Parish and Archaeological Museum Fiè allo Sciliar
Treasures from the excavations at the Peterbühl hill, dating back to the Neolithic Age, as well as sacred art are exhibited in the St. Michael’s Chapel in Fiè allo Sciliar. It is located directly at the cemetery of the parish church. The chapel itself is of Romanesque origin, probably from the 12th century, and was restored between 1978 and 1980, so that the Parish and Archaeological Museum of Fiè allo Sciliar - “Pfarr- und Archäologiemuseum Völs am Schlern” in German, “Museo Parrocchiale e Archeologico di Fiè allo Sciliar” in Italian - could be opened in the same year.
The museum is divided into two parts: on the ground floor there is the Archaeological Museum with its important excavations from the nearby Peterbühl, a hill on which people settled already thousands of years ago. Today Peterbühl is a district of Fiè allo Sciliar, which is known for its enchanting little church St. Peter am Bichl. The finds date back to the Neolithic Age, some of them to late antiquity and the Middle Ages.
On the upper floor of the chapel the Parish Museum of Fiè allo Sciliar can be found. Particularly noteworthy are the apse paintings from around 1600, the late Gothic winged altar of the St. Peter am Bichl Chapel from Jörg Arzt and the late Baroque crib done by Augustin Probst. It shows the entire life of Christ from birth to death on the cross. And how to reach the Parish and Archaeological Museum? It is located in the village centre, there are two parking spaces nearby. Fiè allo Sciliar is also easily accessible from the surrounding villages on foot or by public transport.
Opening hours: from June to the end of October 2019
guided tour Thursdays at 10.30 am
phone: +39 0471 725087