In Caldaro, along the famous South Tyrolean Wine Road, you can visit the Wine Museum.
The Wine Museum in the centre of Caldaro informs its visitors about the history of vinegrowing in South Tyrol. As first Wine Museum on the Southern side of the Alps, this museum has already been founded in 1955. In those days it was lodged at Castel Ringberg, located above Lake Caldaro. Only in 1986 it was relocated to the centre of Caldaro and is now hosted by the former tithe cellar of a Counts’ of Tyrol estate.
The permanent exhibition illustrates the history of viticulture in South Tyrol by a large number of exhibits. The focus is set on the work in the vineyard, the production and storage of wine. However, also glass and ceramic artefacts, wine and religion as well as original farmers’ implements such as wine barrels, casks or wine presses are part of the exhibition. As also other famous museums such as the South Tyrol Museum of Archeology with Oetzi, also the Wine Museum belongs to the Provincial Museums of South Tyrol.
Outside, however, there is a Wine Trail, offering a great view on the Monte di Mezzo and Castelchiaro as well as Lake Caldaro and providing information on new practices in wine-growing. Remarkable are above all the ancient trestles, which are no longer used in modern vinegrowing. Also the types of vines that can be admired in the wine garden are no longer cultivated today.
Opening hours: from April 1 to November 11, 2018
from Tuesday to Saturday from 10 am to 5 pm
on Sundays and public holidays from 10 am to 12 am
closed on Mondays
closed on November 1
5.00 Euros (adults), free for kids under 6 years
0.50 Euros (schoolchildren)
3.70 Euros (young people from 14 years, students, seniors over 65)
family ticket available
free with the Museumcard or museumobil Card
phone: +39 0471 963168, firstname.lastname@example.org