The museum in the capital of South Tyrol exhibits precious artistic and cultural historical collections.
In the historic town, in Via Cassa di Risparmio corner Via Museo, only a few steps from the place where the Iceman is exhibited, there is the Bolzano Municipal Museum. Already in 1882 a museum association was founded by the middle class. Some years later, according to the plans of Karl Delug, on the basis of the foundation walls of the Mediaeval residence Hurlach, the museum was built. Established in the “Überetscher Stil”, a local late-Gothic construction style with elements of the Italian Renaissance period, it was finally inaugurated in 1905. Comprising a collection from Romanesque Madonnas to Gothic parlours, it shows one of the most comprehensive artistic and cultural historical collections of South Tyrol. In 1933 the city of Bolzano started administering the museum.
In 2003 the museum was temporarily closed, as the building needed adoptions and the collection should have been enlarged. To clarify, the storage rooms resulted unsuitable for storing artworks as far as the climate was concerned. Finally in 2011, the Bolzano Municipal Museum reopened its doors in a restricted way, first with about 200 art pieces from the 8th to the 20th century, exhibited in six halls on the first floor as well as in the tower. Among these exhibits, there are stucco works, wooden altars and statues, oil paintings, gold works, ovens and stove tiles, folklore cloths and graphics.
The Bolzano Municipal Museum is also known for its museum library, comprising more than 30,000 historic, artistic and archaeological volumes as well as professional journals. Thanks to new technologies, the collections are documented in the online catalogue of the city library and accessible via a special service. In the basement, there are temporary exhibitions.
Opening hours: all-the-year
from Tuesday to Sunday from 10 am to 6 pm
closed on Mondays
closed on December 24 / 25 / 31 and January 1
phone: +39 0471 997960, email@example.com