Chiusa Municipal Museum

The museum in the former Capuchin monastery does not only exhibit ecclesiastical and secular arts, but also the Loreto Treasure.

The Municipal Museum in the town of Chiusa harkens back on an animated history. Already in 1914 in Chiusa, a Museum of Local History was founded. In fascism this museum was forced to hand over its artistic treasures to the Bolzano Municipal Museum, where a “Museo dell’Alto Adige” (Museum of South Tyrol) was ment to be established. Finally in 1978, the exhibits could be returned to Chiusa and could be exhibited in 1992, after a long restoration period, in the former Capuchin monastery. When the museum reopened, it was called Chiusa Municipal Museum, that is to say “Stadtmuseum Klausen”.

The pieces of art are exhibited in two large exhibition spaces in the basement of the former Capuchin monastery. In the first hall there are ecclesiastical artworks of the 15th to the 19th century of Chiusa and surroundings. In the second room, the former vestry, you can have a look at works of the so-called “Klausner Künstlerkolonie” (colony of artists) of the second half of the 19th century. In fact, Chiusa used to be a popular destination for artists seeking romantic inspiration. Among the artists coming to Chiusa, there were Franz Defregger (1835 - 1921) and Albin Egger-Lienz (1868 - 1926) from East Tyrol or Alexander Koester from Germany (1864 - 1932), as well as local artists such as Hans Piffrader (1888 - 1950).

Finally, on the 1st floor, there is the absolute highlight for museum visitors: the Loreto Treasure of the 16th and 17th century. This collection comprising Spanish and Italian artworks was donated by Maria Anna of Spain in the 17th century, on request of Gabriel Pontifeser from Chiusa, her personal father confessor. So somehow the foundations for this museum were already laid in those days. A visit to the Chiusa Municipal Museum also takes you the temporary exhibitions in the basement as well as to the Baroque Capuchin Church which, accessible via a cloister of the 17th century, is dedicated to St Felix of Cantalice.

Opening hours:
from the end of March to early November 2017
from Tuesday to Saturday from 9.30 am to 12 am and from 3.30 pm to 6 pm
closed on Sundays, Mondays and bank holidays

Admission:
4.00 Euros (adults), free for kids under 8 years
1.50 Euros (schoolchildren from 8 to 18 years, students), 2.50 Euros (seniors over 60)
2.50 Euros (only special exhibition or Capuchin Church)
family ticket available
free with the Museumcard or museumobil Card

Further information:
phone: +39 0472 846148, info@museumklausenchiusa.it

Suggested accommodations

  1. Hotel Sambergerhof
    Hotel

    Hotel Sambergerhof

  2. Waldheim - Alpine Appartements
    Hotel

    Waldheim - Alpine Appartements

  3. Hotel Tratterhof
    Hotel

    Hotel Tratterhof

  4. Hotel Goldener Adler
    Hotel

    Hotel Goldener Adler

  5. Gnolhof
    Farm

    Gnolhof

tips and more infos