The Merano Municipal Museum, or Palais Mamming Museum, is one of the oldest museums of South Tyrol
As the Merano Municipal Museum or Palais Mamming Museum has already been opened in 1900, it is one of the oldest museums of South Tyrol. In that period Franz Innerhofer (1847 - 1918), a physician of Merano, collected Gothic figurines and Baroque paintings of Tyrolean masters with passion. In this way he laid the foundations for the museum. First housed in the building of the English Ladies along the Winter Promenade, the Merano Municipal Museum was transferred several times, for example to the well-known Roter Adler tavern in the Via delle Corse road.
In 2015, in a final step, the museum - "Stadtmuseum Meran" in German, "Museo Civico di Merano" in Italian - has been reopened in the newly renovated Palais Mamming in the historic town. The permanent collection offers 27 sections and provides an overview of the historical development of the town of Merano, from prehistory up to modern art.
What you can admire in the museum are for example Baroque paintings of Tyrolean masters and traditional costumes, as well as some exotic exhibits, including an Egyptian mummy, a death mask of Napoleon as well as a Sudanese weapons collection from the Austrian Major-General Rudolf Anton Carl, Baron of Slatin. And how to reach the Merano Municipal Museum? It is located at the end of the Arcades of Merano, near the St. Nicholas Parish Church. Nearby there are parking spaces (subject to charge) as well as a bus stop of the urban bus lines (Via delle Corse road).
Despite careful control we cannot guarantee the correctness of the provided data.
€ 6.00 adults
€ 5.00 adults (with guest card)
€ 5.00 seniors 65+
€ 5.00 students
€ 5.00 people with disabilities
€ 5.00 groups (more than 10 persons)
€ 10.00 family ticket
free for children and young people under 18 years
combined ticket Municipal Museum & Prince's Castle:
€ 8.00 per person
Special exhibitions till January 6, 2024: "The last piano by Maurice Cazzolli" - "Castle views - impressions from the Burgraviato area" - "Nudes by Gina Klaber Thusek".
The museum stays open from Easter to January 6, closure every year from January 7 to Easter.