Since 1 January 2022, the new Italian slope safety law is in force, here are the details.
The new slope safety law, in force since January 1, 2022, provides that some rules for winter sports lovers are newly introduced or existing rules are modified. These are Legislative Decrees No. 41 and 73/2021, which replace the old law of 2003. As a framework law, it also applies to all specific South Tyrolean regulations on safety on the ski slopes and sledge runs:
Mandatory helmet use:
On the ski and toboggan runs, helmets are now compulsory up to the age of 18 (and not up to the age of 14 as before). The helmet must be CE-certified.
All piste users are required to have an insurance policy similar to the road liability insurance. It must cover liability for damage or injury to third parties and comes into effect if fault in an accident is not civilly resolved. It is available as daily, weekend, weekly, monthly and seasonal insurance and can be purchased when buying the ski pass or from an insurance company. Administrative fines without insurance range from 100 to 150 euros, in addition to the withdrawal of the ski pass.
The consumption of alcohol is now only permitted to a limited extent, the limits are based on those in road traffic: Being on the slopes with more than 0.5 ‰ is punishable by a fine (250 to 1,000 euros). An alcohol level of 0.8 ‰ or more is a criminal offence.
As before, the following measures remain in force in addition to the new rules:
Current FIS piste rules:
- Be considerate of other piste users so that no one is endangered
- Control speed and skiing style, adapted to the conditions
- Overtake from above, from the right or from the left, but always with sufficient distance
- In case of a fall, clear the area immediately if possible
- Do not stop in narrow and unclear places
- Follow markings and signs on the slopes
- Obligatory assistance in case of accidents
- Obligatory identification
Covid 19 catalogue of measures:
- Mandatory Super Green Pass (vaccination or recovery) in all lift facilities from the age of 12
- FFP2 masks compulsory in cable cars and chairlifts with bonnet
- Only 80% utilisation of the lift facilities
- Compliance with the safety distance of one metre
- Use of hand disinfection facilities
- Online purchase of the ski pass if possible