Gries-San Quirinio is the second largest city district of Bolzano.
In the pre-fascist period, Gries used to be an independent village and municipality that was known beyond borders. Quirein used to be one of the seven localities that made part of the municipality of Gries and owes its name to the Saint Quirinus von Tegernsee, as the monks of the Tegernsee monastery used to cultivate wine on the right Talvera riverbank. Due to the fact that the fascist government needed more space for the italianated city of Bolzano, Gries was integrated into the city of Bolzano in 1925.
The merely rural character of this district, however, has been preserved up to present day, that is to say there are still many vineyards and ancient farms. The centre of the district is Piazza Gries, that is today a protected ensemble. This is also where the Benedictine convent Muri-Gries and the adjacent collegial church, dedicated to S. Augustinus, are located.
Still today much wine is cultivated in this area, the most famous types are the Lagrein and Merlot, which in great parts are produced in the city winery and the winery of the monastery.
Our tip: a relaxing afternoon on the meadows of the Talvera located nearby, or a promenade along the Guntschna or Erzherzog Heinrich promenade.