The little village is above all famous for its castle ruin of Montechiaro, which can be seen from afar.
Image gallery: Montechiaro
The village of Montechiaro has got about 250 inhabitants and is located at 930 m asl, in the north west of Agumes, at the entrance to the valley of the Alpbach.
The village is over-towered by the ruin of Castel Montechiaro. Originally it has been constructed as fortress of the Tyroleans against the bishops of Chur. Its beginnings date back to the 13th century. Around 1250, the first kinsmen of this family called themselves Montechiaro. The extended complex used to be in the hands of the Counts of Tyrol until 1513, afterwards it passed on into the hands of the counts of Khuen-Belasi, which still own it today. At the moment (2011), safety works are carried out.
Furthermore Montechiaro offers some further sights, such as the S. Cristina church at Piet and the S. Giuseppe chapel on the mountain of Montechiaro. The S. James’ path connects Glorenza via Montechiaro to Agums and Prato allo Stelvio, ideal for a comfortable walk.