At the shores of Lake Valdurna, at the head of the Sarentino valley, there is the village of Valdurna.
Coming from Bolzano, the Val di Pennes branches off at Villa, while on the right the Valdurna stretches its way. In the rear part of this valley, there is the homonymous scattered settlement of Valdurna, located at 1,568 m asl. It is presumed that this high valley was settled in the late Middle Ages only, between 1,000 ans 1,200. In 1237, however, this locality was first mentioned under the name “Valdurna”.
The centre of the village is composed of the church, the school and some private buildings. The foundation of the S. Nicolò church dates back to the year 1400. The interior is adorned with particularly beautiful frescoes of the 15th century.
A further highlight is the fantastic mountain lake at the head of the valley. Lake Valdurna is characterised by its triangular form and its blue-green waters, in which the closely located farmsteads and mountain tops are reflected.