Between the Isarco and the Rio di Tires river, there is the little village of Prato all’Isarco.
Prato all’Isarco extends in three municipalities, its borders are defined by the Isarco river and the river of Tires. The greatest part of the village, however, belongs to the municipality of Cornedo, while smaller parts belong to the Renon and Fiè allo Sciliar. Prato all’Isarco is also very important as far as traffic is concerned. The Brennero state road runs through the village, roads to Collepietra and the Sciliar area branch off.
Prato all’Isarco, in German called Blumau, is located at 315 m asl and has been mentioned for the first time in 1381 under the name “Plamau”. This name derives from “Plumme” which means “raft”. To clarify, this was the place where the wood for shipping to the Padan Plain was arranged.
The S. Sebastiano chapel of the 17th century has been demolished due to construction works at the Brennero motorway in 1967. For the same reason, the former tavern “Zum Kalten Keller“ was transformed into the present-day church.
Our tip: a family trip on the arts cycling trail from Prato all’Isarco to Bolzano, created by the KIMM laboratory, a centre for handicapped people.