Tires is a little mountain village with original character located close to the Sciliar-Catinaccio mountain range.
Tires al Catinaccio is located at 1,028 m asl in the rear Valle di Tires, below the imposing mountain peaks of the Catinaccio and the Sciliar. The first traces of settlement date back to the Bronze Age, while the first documents refer to 999 A.D. Tires is accessible via the Passo di Carezza and the Passo Nigra. The latter is also a very popular destination for mountain bikers.
Directly at the main road, there is the S. Giorgio parish church with its red steeple with onion dome, attracting the visitor’s attention and representing a popular photo motif. In the second half of the 19th century the interior of the church was redesigned. Worth visiting are also the three ceiling paintings of the artist Karl Henrici of the year 1772.
Both in summer and winter the natural landscape around Tires is ideal for spending some time under the open sky. While in the warm season the mountain peaks and vie ferrate attracts those who love hiking, in winter its alpine pastures are ideal for snow-shoeing.