In Villa di Mezzo in Caldaro rises the cultural and historical jewel of Campan Castle with its beautiful castle garden
The history of the castle, now owned by the Counts von Enzenberg, dates back to the year 1268. At that time Concius von Campan moved from Termeno to Caldaro and built a residential tower at his new residence. In 1499 the family died out and Campan Castle changed hands.
In the 19th century it passed into the hands of the Counts of Enzenberg, who renovated it. Their history in viticulture goes back many centuries, and so today a cuvée of Merlot and Cabernet Franc, produced in the family-owned Manincor Winery, bears the name "Castel Campan". Until recently guided tours through the ancient walls with their big game hunting trophies and wall paintings were offered, today the castle is inhabited again.
Of great value are the St. Notburga Chapel from the 15th century with its frescoes and the historic wine cellar. And how to reach the castle? It is located in the Via Garnellen road in Villa di Mezzo in Caldaro (Kaltern Mitterdorf), information boards outside on the building tell of its long history.
Castel Campan is inhabited and visible only from the outside.