Palù-Schulthaus Castle forms one of the beautiful residences with late Gothic paintings that characterise the castle region of Appiano
Image gallery: Palù-Schulthaus Castle
- Map See map
The complex of Palù Castle and Schulthaus Residence - "Schloss Moos-Schulthaus" in German, "Castel Palù-Schulthaus" in Italian - is one of the many historic buildings in the castle region of Appiano in the Otradige area. It consists of several residential and farm buildings, the oldest part of them, the residential tower in the northeast corner, dates back to about 1300. At that time, the estate was in the hands of the noble family Firmianer von Moos.
From the medieval residential and defence tower, an entire castle developed. Since the walls are not plastered, the different building and style periods are visible here: 14th and 15th centuries and the expansion in the 16th and 17th centuries. In the 17th century, the estate was in the hands of the brothers Leonhard and David von Lanser. They were ennobled "von Moos", and although they did not live long in the castle, a proverb still commemorates them today: "... he lives like a Lanser on Moos" means that a person has a lot of money and likes to spend it.
In 1956, the merchant Walther Amonn from Bolzano acquired Palù-Schulthaus Castle and restored it, bringing whitewashed frescoes from the period around 1470/75 to light. Together with the Rosary Chapel, it belongs to the Walther Amonn Foundation. Inside you can visit the Museum for Medieval Culture of Living. And how to reach it? It is located in a rather hidden position in Appiano Monte, in the west of the Calvary Church which invites to a pleasant walk. Also a road passes by.
Guided castle tours are offered only on reservation from Easter to the end of October, from Tuesday to Sunday. Mondays rest day.
Museum for Medieval Culture of Living:
€ 7.00 adults
€ 5.00 children (6-12 years)
€ 5.00 seniors
€ 5.00 students
€ 5.00 groups (10 and more persons)
€ 2.50 school classes (up to 18 years)
€ 15.00 family ticket
free for children under 6 years
Palù-Schulthaus Castle is accessible only during a guided tour (1 hour), reservation needed. Guided tours are offered in German, Italian and English language.
Castle and museum stay open from Easter to October, season start 2024 at the end of March.