In the south-west of Vipiteno in the Upper Valle Isarco, on a rock spur, there is Tasso Castle.
Tasso Castle - "Schloss Reifenstein" in German, "Castel Tasso" in Italian - is located at Campo di Trens close to the city of Vipiteno and it is one of the best preserved castles of South Tyrol. The complex was first documented in 1100 AD as feud of the Bavarian Earls Lechsgmünd, while from 1110 on the castle was enfeoffed to the Lords of Stilves, who proceeded in building the castle and called it "Reifenstein", Tasso Castle. In the following centuries the castle repeatedly changed hands, up to the year 1405, when the Lords of Sabiona came into the possession of Tasso Castle.
Afterwards, Archduke Sigismund moved into the castle, who sold the castle to the German Chivalric Order in 1470. Until this Order was dissolved in 1813, the castle remained in its possession and was militarily amplified. Up to this point of time earls of Tyrol played a major role in the organisation of the postal system. After its abolition they were compensated with this castle complex. Today this castle is considered to be the best preserved castle complex all over South Tyrol, as it has never been destroyed or taken over.
Part of the complex is also the little St. Zeno Chapel, at which Bajuwaric tree trunk coffins dating back to the 4th to 8th century have been found. A total of 10 rooms can be visited today, which are still in an excellent state. The donjon of the castle complex dates back to the 12th century, the great hall, however, to the 15th century. Particularly interesting is also the Green Hall with its ornaments and a fantastic late Gothic wooden latticework. Portcullis, torture chamber, court room and a subterranean dungeon characterise the real Mediaeval knight's castle. And how to reach Tasso Castle? From the parking space at the castle hill a short walk leads to the complex.
Despite careful control we cannot guarantee the correctness of the provided data.
€ 8.00 adults
€ 4.00 children and young people (6-13 years)
free for children under 6 years
Visit with audio device, own smartphone (QR-Code) or by written information. Reservation for groups (more than 15 persons) by calling +39 339 2643752.