The old chancellery of Velturno Castle in the Valle Isarco valley houses the Local Museum of Velturno.
At the edge of the charming village of Velturno, there is the majestic Velturno Castle - "Schloss Velthurns" in German, "Castel Velturno" in Italian. These ancient walls harken back on a long history. Constructed by Cardinal Christof Madrutz and Bishop Johannes Spaur in Renaissance style between 1577 and 1587, it used to be summer residence of the Archbishops of Bressanone until 1803. In 1978, the Province of South Tyrol took over this cultural monument and had it restored for four years. Today it is administered by the South Tyrolean Antiquities and Monuments office.
Once the castle was known for its deer garden, the fish pond and the huge aviary for birds, today the complex itself is a sight on its own. Worth mentioning is above all the St. Catherine Chapel on the ground floor and its altarpiece by Hans Schmid and, on the upper floor, the Renaissance panelling, carved portals, ovens, frescoes, secco paintings and inlayings such as the gilded waffle-slab ceilings in the Prince's Room. They are one of the most significant cabinet makings of the Renaissance period in the Southern German area.
Open to the public are also an archaeological collection and South Tyrolean artworks of the period between the 15th and the 20th century before you head to the chancellery with the Velturno Local Museum. And how to reach Velturno Castle? It is located in the Via del Paese road in the village centre, a free parking space can be found behind the castle.
Despite careful control we cannot guarantee the correctness of the provided data.
€ 6.00 adults
€ 5.00 groups (min. 15 people), seniors 65+
€ 3.50 young people (up to 18 years), students
€ 2.00 school classes
free for children up to 6 years
€ 12.00 family ticket (2 adults with children up to 14 years)
€ 6.00 mini family ticket (1 adult with children up to 14 years)
Audioguides are available.