Close to the centre of the historic town of Bolzano and nevertheless in the heart of nature, there is Mareccio Castle.
Surrounded by a wide vineyard and a great panorama on Mt. Catinaccio, Mareccio Castle is located in the centre of Bolzano, more precisely close to the Lungotalvera Promenade and the Talvera Meadows. The castle dates back to the 12th century. Its oldest tower was built in 1194 AD by Berthold von Maretsch - according to documents he was a commissary of the Lords of Tyrol and lawyer in Bolzano. First there was only the massive donjon, which can still be seen today.
In the 13th and 14th century, different owners kept amplifying the castle. Also the defensive corridor and the crenellations date back to those times. In 1477, Sigmund Römer purchased Mareccio Castle. The Römer family started rebuilding it, changing the Mediaeval complex into a Renaissance building. Four round towers were added in the course of these works which lasted for several decades. Also frescoes were commissioned, illustrating philosophers of those days.
In the Eighties, the building was restored but is no longer inhabited. Nowadays, Mareccio Castle - "Schloss Maretsch" in German, "Castel Mareccio" in Italian - is merely venue for fairs, concerts, weddings and various other events such as the highly traditional "Bolzano Wine Tasting" in spring. And how to reach it? From the Arcades of Bolzano, main town of the province of South Tyrol, or Piazza della Vittoria square (parking space) it is accessible within a few minutes' walk.
€ 5.00 per person
The castle can be visited if there are no current events (please call in advance) - no free capacities in May 2022.