The Casanova Castle Ruin, also known as Maultasch Castle, are located above Terlano on the South Tyrolean Wine Route
Image gallery: Casanova Castle
- Map See map
- See video
Video : Casanova Castle in Terlano as seen from above
video : Hiking tip: Casanova Castle above Terlano
Casanova Castle - "Burg Neuhaus" in German, "Castel Casanova" in Italian - is almost imperceptible from the bottom of the Valle dell'Adige, only its donjon rises into the sky. The castle was first mentioned in the 13th century, strictly speaking in 1228 AD, and was probably constructed as border fortress for the Counts of Tyrol as shelter from the Counts of Bolzano. In the second half of the 13th century, slightly below the castle a customs station was built.
However, soon the buildings started dwindling in importance, as Bolzano was occupied by Meinhard, Duke of Carinthia, without cease. It is presumed that Margaret (1318 - 1369) loved to spend some time at this castle when she was Countess of Tyrol, but unfortunately this is undocumented. The castle owes its name to the customs station below the castle which was also called "mala tasca", which means mousetrap. Other sources claim, however, that it derives from the fact that Margaret was maliciously nicknamed "Maultasch" due to her big mouth. Also several legends entwine around the castle complex - one of them tells about a golden treasure.
Between 1382 and 1559, the Lords of Niedertor of Bolzano resided in the castle, while the Lords of Wolkenstein, owners of Trostburg Castle, did so until 1733. The Counts of Enzenberg, however, had Casanova Castle consolidated and in parts renovated. From below, only the massive pentagonal donjon can be seen, which rises on a porphyry rock spur. And how to reach it? The Margaret Trail leads in a 30 minute walk from the road to Meltina, above Terlano, to the ruin. Information panels tell about the castle and its eventful history.
- Hill above Terlano village - 39018 - Terlan / Terlano
- +39 0471 257165