schloss burg hocheppan
schloss burg hocheppan

Appiano Castle

Appiano Castle, one of the major castles of South Tyrol, is one of the destinations of the Three Castles Walk

In raised position at the top of a steep rock face above Missiano near Appiano, Appiano Castle - "Schloss Hocheppan" in German, "Castel d'Appiano" in Italian - towers into the sky. The defensive character of Castel d'Appiano is referable to the majestic pentagonal donjon. The castle was built between 1125 and 1130 by Ulrich II, Count of Appiano, and already in these days this castle has been considered to be one of the most majestic all over. The owners of the castle first had been living in Castelvecchio at San Paolo. Due to the fact that after a conflict with the Counts of Tyrol the Counts of Appiano felt unease, they changed residence and settled onto the rough rock.

In 1158, the Counts of Appiano mugged a pontifical delegation and the castle was destroyed by a punitive expedition under the rule of Henry the Lion. Soon after, Appiano Castle was rebuilt and in 1315 it was handed over to the Counts of Tyrol. Various families were enfeoffed with this mansion. From 1911, Appiano Castle was in possession of the Earls of Enzenberg. In the years between 1964 and 1967 the mansion was overhauled by the Provincial Antiquities and Monuments Office. In 2016, however, the municipality of Appiano bought the castle.

Particular worth to be visited is the unique pentagonal donjon and the chapel, inside which there is a fresco cycle which is one of the best preserved all over Tyrol. The Roman frescos dating back to the 13th century illustrate 13 motifs of tradition (someone eating dumplings, haunting scenes) of the time in which the castle has been built. Also the tower located slightly below is part of the complex of Appiano Castle. The very high, white calcimined "Kreideturm" (Chalk Tower) has been preserved in its original height and is surrounded by a little circular wall. Inside this castle there is a castle tavern and outside an archery course. And how to reach Appiano Castle? From the parking space at Missiano the hiking trail leads in half an hour to the castle, alternatively there's also a castle shuttle service. Alsot the Three Castles Walk takes you to Appiano Castle.

Contact info

Opening times

  • Sun 14 Jul 11:00 - 16:00
  • Mon 15 Jul closed
  • Tue 16 Jul closed
  • Wed 17 Jul closed
  • Thu 18 Jul 11:00 - 16:00
  • Fri 19 Jul 11:00 - 16:00
  • Sat 20 Jul 11:00 - 16:00

Despite careful control we cannot guarantee the correctness of the provided data.

Full timetables
Despite careful control we cannot guarantee the correctness of the provided data.

Guided castle tours - spring 2024 (23/03/2024 - 02/06/2024)

  • Mon closed
  • Tue closed
  • Wed closed
  • Thu 11:00 - 16:00
  • Fri 11:00 - 16:00
  • Sat 11:00 - 16:00
  • Sun 11:00 - 16:00

Easter 2024 (31/03/2024) 11:00 - 16:00

Easter Monday 2024 (01/04/2024) closed

Liberation Day 2024 (25/04/2024) 11:00 - 16:00

Labor Day 2024 (01/05/2024) closed

Whit Monday 2024 (20/05/2024) closed

Republic Day 2024 (02/06/2024) 11:00 - 16:00

Guided castle tours - summer 2024 (06/06/2024 - 31/08/2024)

  • Mon closed
  • Tue closed
  • Wed closed
  • Thu 11:00 - 16:00
  • Fri 11:00 - 16:00
  • Sat 11:00 - 16:00
  • Sun 11:00 - 16:00

Feast of the Assumption 2024 (15/08/2024) 11:00 - 16:00

Guided castle tours - autumn 2024 (01/09/2024 - 03/11/2024)

  • Mon 11:00 - 16:00
  • Tue 11:00 - 16:00
  • Wed closed
  • Thu 11:00 - 16:00
  • Fri 11:00 - 16:00
  • Sat 11:00 - 16:00
  • Sun 11:00 - 16:00

All Saints 2024 (01/11/2024) 11:00 - 16:00

Admission

guided castle tour with castle chapel:
€ 7.00 adults
€ 5.00 seniors
€ 5.00 students
€ 4.00 groups (15 and more persons)
€ 3.00 children (up to 14 years)

€ 16.00 family ticket

More information

The opening hours refer to the guided castle tours with chapel visit (in English, German and Italian language): They are offered from Easter to the end of August from Thursday to Sunday, and from early September to early November daily except on Wednesdays, always between 11 am and 4 pm. Season start 2024 on March 23. Duration: 45 minutes, start every full hour.

Special guided tours for groups are possible also outside the opening hours.

The inner courtyard is freely accessible, the tavern itself stays open during the warm months from May on every day from 10 am to 6 pm, Wednesdays rest day (phone: +39 333 6698212). In October open without rest day. The focus of the menue lies on dumplings, in autumn on Törggele dishes.

Suggest an edit/correction

Our editorial staff is always committed to ensuring the highest quality and accuracy of the information we publish. If you have suggestions to improve this page you can send them to us using the form below. Thank you in advance!

Close

Suggested accommodations

Tips and more infos