In Villa di Mezzo in Caldaro rises the cultural and historical jewel of Castel Campan with its beautiful castle garden.
Image gallery: Castel Campan
"Where counts live" is the title of the guided tour through the historic Castel Campan in Villa di Mezzo/Caldaro (Kaltern Mitterdorf). The history of the castle, now owned by the Counts von Enzenberg, dates back to the 13th century, more precisely to 1268. At that time Concius von Campan moved from Termeno to Caldaro and built a residential tower at his new residence. In 1499 the family died out and Castel Campan changed hands.
In the 19th century it passed into the hands of the Counts of Enzenberg, who renovated it. Their history in viticulture goes back many centuries, and so today a cuvée of Merlot and Cabernet Franc, produced in the family-owned Manincor Winery, bears the name "Castel Campan". Until recently the castle was inhabited, today guided tours through the ancient walls with their big game hunting trophies and wall paintings are offered regularly.
Particularly worth seeing are the St. Notburga Chapel from the 15th century with its frescoes and the historic cellar where visitors are offered a glass of wine. And how to reach Campan Castle? It is located in the Via Garnellen road in Caldaro/Villa di Mezzo. The tour starts at the Piazza Morandell square, which is easily reachable on foot or by public transport.
€ 18.00 per person (from 16 years on, guided tour with a glass of wine)
Meeting point for the guided tour (on reservation): fountain at the Piazza M.-v.-Morandell square.