In the south west of Vipiteno, on a rock spur, there is Castel Tasso (Reifenstein, in German).
Castel Tasso is located at Campo di Trens close to the city of Vipiteno and it is one of the best preserved castles of South Tyrol. The castle was first documented in 1100 AD as feud of the Bavarian Earls Lechsgmünd, while from 1110 on the castle was enfeoffed to the Lords of Stilves, who proceeded in building the castle and called it “Reifenstein”, Castel Tasso.
In the following centuries the castle repeatedly changed hands, up to the year 1405, when the Lords of Sabiona came into the possession of Castel Tasso. Afterwards the Archduke Sigismund moved into the castle, who sold the castle to the German Chivalric Order in 1470. Until this Order was dissolved in 1813, the castle remained in its possession and was militarily amplified. Up to this point of time earls of Tyrol played a major role in the organisation of the postal system. After its abolition they were compensated with this castle complex. Today this castle is considered to be the best preserved castle complex all over South Tyrol, as it has never been destroyed or taken over.
Part of the complex is also the little St Zeno church, at which Bajuwaric tree trunk coffins dating back to the 4th to 8th century have been found. A total of 10 rooms can be visited today, which are still in an excellent state. The donjon of the castle complex dates back to the 12th century, the great hall, however, dates back to the 15th century. Particularly interesting is also the Green Hall with its ornaments and a fantastic late Gothic wooden latticework. Portcullis, torture chamber, court room and a subterranean dungeon characterise the real Mediaeval knight’s castle.
from April 2 to October 31, 2017
only guided visits (min. 4 people)
guided visits from Sunday to Friday at 10.30 am, 2 pm and 3 pm
July 20 - Sep 5, 2017: guided visit also at 4 pm
closed on Saturdays, except on Aug 12 and 19, 2017
7.00 Euros (adults)
4.00 Euros (children)
phone: +39 339 2643752, email@example.com