The Tiefenbrunner - Turmhof Wine Estate is located in the eponymous castle in Niclara in the south of South Tyrol.
It was in 1225 when a "Gut Linticlar" near Cortaccia (Kurtatsch) was first mentioned in documents. A bit above the village, there is a castle ruin, where Stone and Bronze Age finds were made, which prove that the area was settled already in prehistoric times. In the course of time, "Gut Linticlar" was transformed into a castle, of which only the residential tower is left from this early period of the 13th century. In 1848 the Turmhof Winery was entered in the commercial register as one of the oldest wineries in South Tyrol. For about 170 years the Tiefenbrunner family has been producing high-quality wines in the Tiefenbrunner - Turmhof Wine Estate such as the Selection "Linticlarus".
While there is a rustic pine wood parlour in the castle, which was converted into a snack station, there is an inner courtyard with old trees and an 8,000 sq m castle park outside. This fairy tale park with its grottos, cascades, water games and strange figures, which is only accessible on a guided tour, was created in the second half of the 19th century by Johann Tiefenthaler. The mythical creatures originate from Greek mythology and the Bible story.
And how to reach Turmhof Castle - "Schloss Turmhof", in German? Niclara (Entiklar) is located 1 km south of the main village of Cortaccia, parking facilities are available. In addition, the bus line 122 operates between Cortaccia and Niclara. From the parking space also starts a 1-hour round tour, which circles the hill behind Niclara. The wide path leads to a square with a panoramic view on the south of South Tyrol and a rock face with - if there is enough water - an impressive waterfall.
guided tours of the cellar and the castle garden:
€ 6.00 per person