In Castel Velturno in Valle Isarco there is the Velturno Museum of Local History, showing ancient objects of daily use.
Image gallery: Castel Velturno
- Map See map
At the edge of the charming village of Velturno, there is the majestic castle complex of Velturno. These ancient walls harken back on a long and animated history. Constructed by Cardinal Christof Madrutz and Bishop Johannes Spaur in Renaissance style between 1577 and 1587 AD, Castel Velturno used to be summer residence of the archbishops of Bressanone until 1803. In 1978 the Province of South Tyrol took over this cultural monument and had it restored for four years. Today it is administered by the South Tyrolean Antiquities and Monuments office.
Once the castle was known for its deer garden, the fish pond and the huge aviary for birds, today the complex itself is a sight on its own. Worth mentioning is above all the St Catherine’s Chapel on the ground floor and its altarpiece by Hans Schmid and, on the upper floor, the Renaissance panelling, carved portals, ovens, frescoes, secco paintings and inlayings such as the gilded waffle-slab ceilings in the Prince’s Room. They are one of the most significant cabinet makings of the Renaissance period in the Southern German area. Open to the public are also an archaeological collection and a collection of South Tyrolean artworks of the period between the 15th and the 20th century.
In the so-called Schreiberhaus of Castel Velturno, there is an interesting collection of farmers’ items and objects of everyday life for vine-growing and wood processing. Since 2008, the Velturno Museum of Local History is complemented by the “Archeoparc Tanzgasse Velturno”, a Calcolithic cult site located in the village. Its megalith facility is composed of stone circles, tumuli and ellipsoid structures. The facility is exposable and interesting archaeological walks are offered on a regular basis.
Opening hours - museum:
from March 15 to November 15, 2018
only guided visits
from Tuesday to Sunday at 10 am, 11 am, 2.30 pm and 3.30 pm
in July and August guided visit also at 4.30 pm
closed on Mondays
Admission - museum:
5.00 Euros (adults), free for kids under 6 years
3.00 Euros (children and young people from 6 to 18 years, students)
family ticket available
free with the Museumcard or museumobil Card
phone: +39 0472 855525, firstname.lastname@example.org