RS schloss runkelstein bozen
RS schloss runkelstein bozen

Castel Roncolo

Castel Roncolo, which is also known as “Painted Castle”, rises on a porphyry rock high above the roofs of Bolzano.

The Mediaeval castle is located on a protected porphyry rock on the outskirts of Bolzano (Bozen), along the Val Sarentino road. Castel Roncolo - "Schloss Runkelstein" in German - is particularly famous due to its mundane fresco cycle, one of the largest profane fresco cycles dating back to Mediaeval times. It illustrates authentic knight sagas, literature scenes, court ladies and life on the farm as well as hunting scenes. In 1237, the original complex was built by the Lords of Wangen, and in 1385, the wealthy merchants Franz and Niklaus Vintler purchased it. This family had it decorated with frescoes and equipped with components that facilitated life in those times, e.g. a pivy and a cistern for water storage. In 1390, the so called "Summer House" was built.

In the second half of the 15th century, Castel Roncolo passed on to the hands of Sigismund of Austria. From now on, it continually kept changing hands, the castle was repeatedly modified and frescoes and paintings were added. A gunpowder explosion in the southern part of the castle destroyed parts of it in 1520, including a circular wall and a donjon, which had to be reconstructed. In 1672, a lightning bolt caused a fire which destroyed the east part of Castel Roncolo, which has no longer been renovated.

From the 18th century on, it was no longer inhabitated kept deteriorating. Only when Josef con Görres recognised the value of the frescoes and reported it to Ludwig I of Bavaria, architects and artists started examining the paintings. Soon after, parts of the north wall collapsed and destroyed great parts of the valuable frescoes. In 1883, Franz Joseph I of Austria received Castel Roncolo as donation from Archduke Johann Salvator of Austria, ad solemnly donated it to the citizens of Bolzano in 1893. Today the venerable walls can be visited and offer also a castle tavern. And how to reach Castel Roncolo? From the parking space beneath it, a paved path leads in a few minutes to the castle. Alternatively a half an hour walk leads from the historic town of Bolzano to the castle, or the free shuttle service takes you there (starting point: Piazza Walther square).

Currently, access may still be subject to certain restrictions.

Contact info

Opening times

  • Wed 28 Oct 10:00 - 18:00
  • Thu 29 Oct 10:00 - 18:00
  • Fri 30 Oct 10:00 - 18:00
  • Sat 31 Oct 10:00 - 18:00
  • Sun 01 Nov 10:00 - 18:00
  • Mon 02 Nov closed
  • Tue 03 Nov 10:00 - 17:00

Despite careful control we cannot guarantee the correctness of the provided data.

Full timetables
Despite careful control we cannot guarantee the correctness of the provided data.

Summer (05/14/2020 - 11/01/2020)

  • Mon closed
  • Tue 10:00 - 18:00
  • Wed 10:00 - 18:00
  • Thu 10:00 - 18:00
  • Fri 10:00 - 18:00
  • Sat 10:00 - 18:00
  • Sun 10:00 - 18:00

Winter (11/02/2020 - 03/15/2021)

  • Mon closed
  • Tue 10:00 - 17:00
  • Wed 10:00 - 17:00
  • Thu 10:00 - 17:00
  • Fri 10:00 - 17:00
  • Sat 10:00 - 17:00
  • Sun 10:00 - 17:00

Christmas Eve (12/24/2020) closed

Christmas (12/25/2020) closed

New Year's Eve (12/31/2020) closed

New Year (01/01/2021) closed


€ 8.00 adults
€ 5.50 students, seniors 65+, disabled persons, groups (10 and more 10 persons)
€ 16.00 family ticket (2 adults with children under 14 years)
€ 2.50 scholar ticket (for school classes)

guided tours:
€ 14.50 supplement for guided tours (per school class)
€ 2.70 supplement for guided tours (per person)

More information

Free shuttle service from the Piazza Walther square daily from 10 am to 5 pm (in winter from Nov 26, 2020 - Jan 10, 2021).

Suggest an edit/correction

Our editorial staff is always committed to ensuring the highest quality and accuracy of the information we publish. If you have suggestions to improve this page you can send them to us using the form below. Thank you in advance!


Suggested accommodations

  1. Parkhotel Luna Mondschein
    Parkhotel Luna Mondschein

    Parkhotel Luna Mondschein

Tips and more infos