Close to the centre of the historic town of Bolzano and nevertheless in the heart of nature, there is Castel Mareccio.
Surrounded by a wide vineyard and a great panorama on Mt. Catinaccio, Castel Mareccio is located in the centre of Bolzano (Bozen), more precisely close to the Lungotalvera Promenade and the Talvera Meadows. The castle dates back to the 12th century. Its oldest tower was built in 1194 AD by Berthold von Maretsch - according to documents he was a commissary of the Lords of Tyrol and lawyer in Bolzano. First there was only the massive donjon, which can still be seen today.
In the 13th and 14th century, different owners kept amplifying the castle. Also the defensive corridor and the crenellations date back to those times. In 1477, Sigmund Römer purchased Castel Mareccio. The Römer family started rebuilding it, changing the Mediaeval complex into a Renaissance building. Four round towers were added in the course of these works which lasted for several decades. Also frescoes were commissioned, illustrating philosophers of those days.
In the Eighties, the building was restored but is no longer inhabited. Nowadays, Castel Mareccio - "Schloss Maretsch" in German - is merely venue for fairs, concerts, weddings and various other events such as the highly traditional "Bolzano Wine Tasting" in spring. And how to reach Castel Mareccio? From the historic town of Bolzano, capital city of the province of South Tyrol, or Piazza della Vittoria square (parking space) it is accessible within a few minutes' walk.
Despite careful control we cannot guarantee the correctness of the provided data.
€ 5.00 per person