RS C sand in taufers schloss
RS C sand in taufers schloss

Castel Tures

This striking castle complex which is open to the public rises above Campo Tures in the Valli di Tures and Aurina valleys.

Castel Tures - “Burg Taufers” in German - perfectly fits the scenery in which it is located, as the high mountains of the valley serve as background. It rises on a natural elevation belonging to Acereto (Ahornach) in the municipality of Valle Aurina (Ahrntal) at 957 m a.s.l. In succession of a “Castel Tobl” in 1100 AD, the name of Castel Tures was mentioned for the first time in 1225. In the first half of the 14th century the Lords of Tures were in possession of the castle, but when the last member of the family died in 1349 the castle continually deteriorated.

The Romanic part of the castle - the donjon, the residential tower with double arched windows and the chapel - dates back to this time. Only under the Dukes of Austria, the castle was expanded in the 15th century - buildings such as the lavatorium, drawbridges and wall walks were added. Ludwig Lobmayr renovated the castle for the first time in the early 20th century. In 1945, however, Hieronymus Gassner provided for maintenance works.

Today the South Tyrolean Castle Institute, founded in 1963, is in possession of Castle Tures. For the most part the castle is open to the public. The furniture in the 64 rooms is near-completely intact and old tiled stoves heat the residential rooms. Pine panelling, frescos by Friedrich Pacher in the chapel, armoires dating back to different eras, armaments and a huge library provide a special insight into the history of the castle. Special exhibitions and events, such as a children’s programme, as well as a castle tavern complete the offer. And how to reach Castel Tures? A walking path leads from Campo Tures in 10 minutes to the castle, whereas a forest road is also accessible by car, but offers only a limited number of parking spaces.

Winter opening hours: till May 30, 2020
only guided tours (in German or Italian language)
daily at 11 am and 3 pm

Summer opening hours: from May 31 to November 2, 2020
only guided tours (in German or Italian language)
May 31 - July 11, 2020:
daily at 10 am, 11 am, noon time, 2 pm, 3.15 pm and 4.30 pm
July 12 - Aug 31, 2020:
daily at 10 am, 11.10 am, 12.15 noon time, 1.15 pm, 2 pm, 3.15 pm and 4.30 pm
Tuedays and Thursdays also evening guided tour at 9 pm
Sept 1 - Nov 2, 2020:
daily at 10 am, 11 am, noon time, 2 pm, 3.15 pm and 4.30 pm

Winter opening hours: from November 3, 2020, to May 29, 2021
only guided tours (in German or Italian language)
Nov 3 - Dec 5, 2020:
daily at 3 pm
Dec 6 - May 29, 2021:
daily at 11 am and 3 pm

on Dec 24 open till noon time
on Dec 25 and Jan 1 open from noon time

Admission (guided visit of the interior):
8.00 - 10.00 Euros (adults, depending on the season)
free for kids under 5 years
4.00 - 5.00 Euros (children and young people from 6 to 14 years)
family ticket available (28.00 Euros)
free with the Museumcard or museumobil Card

Further information:
phone: +39 0474 678053, taufers@burgeninstitut.com

Access to this site may be restricted or prohibited due to current measures to contain the spread of the coronavirus, in order to protect the health of visitors and employees.

Suggest an edit/correction

Our editorial staff is always committed to ensuring the highest quality and accuracy of the information we publish. If you have suggestions to improve this page you can send them to us using the form below. Thank you in advance!

Close

Suggested accommodations

Tips and more infos