The national park extends from sunny Val Venosta to Trento, Lombardy and right up to the border of the Swiss National Park.
Being one of the largest natural sanctuaries of the Alps covering an area of 53,447 hectares, the Stelvio National Park includes typical valleys shaped by ice and water, surrounding the impressive, almost 4,000 metres high Ortles Alps. Also known as Stilfser Joch National Park in German, the protected area is bordered to the north by the Swiss National Park in the Engadine, to the south by the Adamello-Brenta Nature Park in the Trentino and the Adamello Regional Park in the province of Lombardy. To the east, however, the national park is bounded by the Gruppo di Tessa Nature Park.
The landscape of the national park is characterized by icy heights, gushing mountain streams, lush forests and rich Alpine pastures. This oldest protected area of South Tyrol, founded in 1935, includes the municipalities of Stelvio, Prato allo Stelvio, Glorenza, Tubre, Malles, Lasa, Silandro, Martello, Laces and Ultimo. The eponymous 2,757 m high Stelvio pass is Italy’s highest mountain pass and connects the province of Lombardy (Bormio) to South Tyrol.
The Stelvio National Park is home to the red deer and the chamois, the golden eagle and the Alpine ibex, the red fox and the great spotted woodpecker as well as to an outstanding flora. Here you will find the precious edelweiss, the glacier buttercup and the Nigritella.
Founded in: 1935
Surface: 53,447 hectares
Altitude difference: 3,255 m
Area: west of South Tyrol, Val Venosta
Visitor centre: 4 visitor centres in Prato allo Stelvio, Martello, Santa Geltrude in Val d’Ultimo and Trafoi