The archeological museum in the Val d’Ultimo valley is dedicated to the prehistory and ancient history
On the church hill of Santa Valburga, a new museum has been opened in 2018. Beside the Ultimo Valley Museum in San Nicolò and the "lahnersäge" visitor centre of the Stelvio National Park in Santa Geltrude, it is the third one to enrich the local cultural offer. The Culten Documentation Centre - "Dokumentationszentrum Culten" in German, "Centro di Documentazione Culten" in Italian - is housed in an ancient farmhouse from the 15th century. Its farm building has been removed and rebuilt 50 metres further on. During those works, not only objects from the 15th century have been found, but also the oldest know South Tyrolean examples of Watten Cards.
The Culten Documentation Centre, dedicated to the prehistory and ancient history, shows the lifestyle of the people in this period and their relation to the valley. Archaeological findings confirm the information. It consists of three areas: the Documentation Centre itself with the replica of a sacrificial altar and a mystic underground region, the F'Hochhaus Farm where special exhibitions are held on a regular basis, and the outdoor area with traditional crops of this region.
Already in the Bronze Age (2,200 until 800 BC) and Iron Age (750 BC until 500 AD), the valley was settled, some traces have been preserved until today. To one of them, the Museum Culten is dedicated: It is a settlement of the Bronze and Iron Age (1400 until 600 BC), that changed into a burnt offerings site in the 6th century BC. And how to reach it? It is located on the church hill, along the road from the village centre of Santa Valburga to the church. At the beginning of the road, there's a parking space, from there it's a 10-minute walk to the Culten Documentation Centre.
The Documentation Centre stays open from May to early November, season start 2024 in May.