In front of the majestic Dolomites, there is the Romanesque Collegiate Church of San Candido with its Collegiate Museum
Image gallery: San Candido Collegiate Museum
The monastery in San Candido is known as the oldest and the most remarkable Romanesque sacred building in Tyrol, dating back to the 8th century AD. Founded by Tassilo III, Duke of Bavaria, as support point for the evangelization of Slavs, it was transformed into a Collegiate Foundation in the 12th century. The Saints Candidus and Corbinian Collegiate Church of San Candido has not changed its present-day appearance from 1280. The Collegiate Museum - "Museum des Stiftes Innichen" in German, "Museo della Collegiata San Candido" in Italian - has two locations:
The Chapter House "Granary" from the 16th century is located in the Via Atto road, near the Collegiate Church and the hospital (signed on the map). Its exterior has remained unmodified for centuries: Still today decorative elements of 1550 are recognizable, painted by scholars of the Bressanone School. Beside the archive and the library of the convent, this highly remarkable building also hosts seven exhibition rooms where you can admire a collection of manuscripts, the Cathedral Treasure and a comprehensive art collection with sacred works, in great parts realized by local artists, commissioned either by the convent itself, or by citizens of San Candido.
The second location can be found in the Franciscan monastery in the Via Peter Paul Rainer road, about 400 m away. It shows archaeological finds from the Roman period and a folkloristic collection of the 18th and 19th centuries. In summer, temporary exhibitions are organised here. And how to reach the Collegiate Museum (location in the Via Atto road)? It is located in the centre of the village - there are several parking spaces near the church and the adjacent town hall.
In winter, the San Candido Collegiate Museum is open only for groups of 15 and more persons (on request by calling +39 0474 913149). Season start 2024 in early July.