kloster son jon muestair muenstertal
kloster son jon muestair muenstertal

Saint John Abbey in Müstair

2 km away from Tubre in the Val Monastero valley, already on Swiss territory, there’s a famous World Heritage site.

When you follow the road from Tubre, the most western municipality of South Tyrol, 2 km further towards west, you are already in Switzerland, more precisely in Müstair. This village is famous for the St. John Benedictine Abbey - "Kloster St. Johann in Müstair" in German, "Monastero di San Giovanni a Müstair" in Italian. The monastery was founded in 775 AD by Charles the Great, King of the Langobards, after he escaped a blizzard. In the middle of the 12th century, St. John became a nunnery. In 1528 the Convent Church, dedicated to John the Baptist, was made the Müstair Parish Church. In this Convent Church, the Swiss scientists Robert Durrer and Joseph Zemp discovered in 1894 gorgeous Carolingian frescoes from the first half of the 9th century, under myriad layers of other paintings. The frescoes conduced educated monks to delve into the message of salvation.

Above the vault, scenes from the life of King David (Old Testament) can be seen, furthermore numerous scenes from the New Testament can be found. The life of Jesus is shown starting at his childhood until his return at the Last Judgment. One scene sequence was brought to the Swiss State Museum in Zürich in 1908/09, the other frescoes were exposed with help of the nuns between 1947 and 1951. The Church of the Holy Cross, a Carolingian jewel, however, was restored in 2018, and is now open to the public again (on certain dates). In 1969, the Pro St. John Abbey Foundation was founded in Müstair to save the frescoes from ruin. Still today, nuns live in the complex - in the meantime declared a World Heritage site - and offer a spot of ease and reflection in their guest house. Some of the Romanesque pictures from 1200 can be seen in the Convent Museum, located in the Planta Tower, a more than 1,000 years old fortified residential tower.

12 centuries of convent, architectural and art history can be discovered. Acheological findings and cultural-historical treasures and jewels can still be admired, as well as the cloister, the convent cellar, reception and living areas and the beautiful Baroque "Hohenbalken Chamber". And how to reach the Saint John Abbey in Müstair? Is is located along the state road, a parking space can be found on the opposite side of the road. Also the PostBus Switzerland (Zernes - Malles) stops directly across from the building.

Contact info

Opening times

  • Sat 03 Dec 10:00 - 12:00 13:30 - 16:30
  • Sun 04 Dec 13:30 - 16:30
  • Mon 05 Dec 10:00 - 12:00 13:30 - 16:30
  • Tue 06 Dec 10:00 - 12:00 13:30 - 16:30
  • Wed 07 Dec 10:00 - 12:00 13:30 - 16:30
  • Thu 08 Dec 10:00 - 12:00 13:30 - 16:30
  • Fri 09 Dec 10:00 - 12:00 13:30 - 16:30

Despite careful control we cannot guarantee the correctness of the provided data.

Full timetables
Despite careful control we cannot guarantee the correctness of the provided data.

Abbey Museum - winter 2022/23 (11/01/2022 - 04/29/2023)

  • Mon 10:00 - 12:00 13:30 - 16:30
  • Tue 10:00 - 12:00 13:30 - 16:30
  • Wed 10:00 - 12:00 13:30 - 16:30
  • Thu 10:00 - 12:00 13:30 - 16:30
  • Fri 10:00 - 12:00 13:30 - 16:30
  • Sat 10:00 - 12:00 13:30 - 16:30
  • Sun 13:30 - 16:30

All Saints 2022 (11/01/2022) 13:30 - 16:30

All Souls 2022 (11/02/2022) 13:30 - 16:30

Immaculate Conception 2022 (12/08/2022) 10:00 - 12:00 13:30 - 16:30

Christmas' Eve 2022 (12/24/2022) 10:00 - 12:00 13:30 - 16:30

Christmas 2022 (12/25/2022) closed

Boxing Day 2022 (12/26/2022) 13:30 - 16:30

New Year's Eve 2022 (12/31/2022) 10:00 - 12:00 13:30 - 16:30

New Year 2023 (01/01/2023) 13:30 - 16:30

Epiphany 2023 (01/06/2023) 10:00 - 12:00 13:30 - 16:30

Good Friday 2023 (04/07/2023) 13:30 - 16:30

Easter 2023 (04/09/2023) 13:30 - 16:30

Easter Monday 2023 (04/10/2023) 13:30 - 16:30

Admission

guided tour of the Convent Church from the 8th century (approx. 45 minutes):
CHF 10.00 adults
CHF 8.00 students and apprentices (from 16 years on)
CHF 5.00 children and students (6-16 years)

guided tour of the Convent Museum (approx. 60 minutes):
CHF 12.00 adults
CHF 8.00 students and apprentices (from 16 years on)
CHF 6.00 children and students (6-16 years)
CHF 30.00 family ticket (2 adults with max. 3 children)
CHF 4.00 each additional child of the family

combined tour Convent Church & Convent Museum (approx. 90 minutes):
CHF 12.00 adults
CHF 8.00 students and apprentices (from 16 years on)
CHF 6.00 children and students (6-16 years)
CHF 30.00 family ticket (2 adults with max. 3 children)
CHF 4.00 each additional child of the family

guided tour of the Carolingian Church of the Holy Cross (approx. 60 minutes):
CHF 12.00 adults
CHF 8.00 students and apprentices (from 16 years on)
CHF 6.00 children and students (6-16 years)
CHF 30.00 family ticket (2 adults with max. 3 children)
CHF 4.00 each additional child of the family

free for children under 6 years

admission fees for groups on request

More information

The abbey stays open all year round, the summer season 2023 will start on the 1st of May. Closed in the mornings on Sundays and public holidays, the only day of complete closure is December 25.

1 Swiss franc = approx. 1.02 Euros, payments can also be made in Euros.

Suggest an edit/correction

Our editorial staff is always committed to ensuring the highest quality and accuracy of the information we publish. If you have suggestions to improve this page you can send them to us using the form below. Thank you in advance!

Close

Suggested accommodations

  1. Haus Monika
    Haus Monika
    Apartments

    Haus Monika

  2. Wellness Resort Garberhof
    Wellness Resort Garberhof
    Hotel

    Wellness Resort Garberhof

Tips and more infos