The St. Proculus Church near Naturno dates back to the 7th century and is one of the oldest churches of South Tyrol.
Image gallery: St. Proculus Church with Museum
- Map See map
- See video
The little St. Proculus Church - "St. Prokulus Kirchlein" in German, "Chiesa di San Procolo" in Italian - near Naturno (Naturns) is undoubtedly a historical treasure. The building itself was established between 630 and 650 AD in place of an old house and dedicated to Saint Proculus, a bishop of Verona who survived the persecutions of Diocletian. In the following centuries, the sacred building was restored and enlarged several times. In the 17th century, however, when the plague caused havoc also in Naturno, mass graves for the victimes were excavated near the church.
The St. Proculus Church features the probably most ancient frescoes of the German speaking area and the most complete early fresco cycle of Tyrol. Furthermore, there are some Gothic frescoes from the 14th century. Discovered in 1912, they were laid open in 1923/24 during the restoration of the church. The age of the oldest pre-Carolingian frescoes, however, is rather contested, new datings refer to the period of time between the 7th and 10th century. The most famous fresco shows a man on a swing, probably St. Proculus himself. Very unusual for a sacred building, however, is the representation of a dog with a herd of cows.
Only a stone's throw from the church, there is also the Proculus Museum, which was inaugurated in 2006. The museum is allocated subterraneously and takes visitors into 1,500 years of history of the area around Naturno. Four time-space showrooms take you across late antiquity, Middle Ages and early modern times. Moreover in the museum you can admire the Gothic frescoes which have been taken down from the walls of the St. Proculus Church. And how to reach the church and the museum? Between the two facilities, only seperated by a small road, there's a parking space. From the centre of Naturno, they are also accessible in a walk of just a few minutes.
Opening hours - church and museum: from June 25 to October 30, 2020
June 25 - Aug 31, 2020:
Thursdays and Sundays from 10 am to 12.30 noon time and from 2.30 pm to 5.30 pm
open on the 15th of August (Saturday, public holiday)
Sept 1 - Oct 30, 2020:
Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays from 10 am to 12.30 noon time and from 2.30 pm to 5.30 pm
Oct 17, 2020: Romanesque Day from 10 am to 5.30 pm
4.50 Euros (only museum) / 6.00 Euros (church and museum)
free for kids under 10 years
2.50 Euros (children and young people from 10 to 18 years, students)
family ticket available (9.00 Euros)
free with the Museumcard or museumobil Card
phone: +39 0473 673139, email@example.com