In Curon Venosta the Local Museum tells about the flooding of the area by the construction of Lake Resia.
Image gallery: Upper Val Venosta Valley Museum
- Map See map
- See video
Besides the Venosta Valley Museum in Sluderno, which is completely dedicated to the history of the Val Venosta, there is a second museum about 25 km apart, in the village of Curon Venosta. The Upper Val Venosta Valley Museum - "Museum Vintschger Oberland" in German, "Museo Alta Val Venosta" in Italian - tells the story of the villages of Curon Vecchia and Resia, which were partly swallowed up by the floods of the newly created Lake Resia in the summer of 1950.
At that time, 677 hectares of land fell victim to the reservoir, the farm owners were forcibly expropriated and forced to emigrate or resettle. A dark chapter in South Tyrol’s history that is still remembered today by the famous Church Tower in Lake Resia. The Upper Val Venosta Valley Museum is housed in two rooms and a parlour in the old town hall of Curon, which is next to the parish church. The interesting photo documentation shows the area in former times and tells about the construction of the dam. Sacred relics from the old village churches as well as historical objects from the former everyday life of the farmers are also exhibited.
And how to reach the Local Museum? It is located near the church of Curon Venosta and is easily accessible by car and public transport. Parking is available along the state road.
The museum is accessible only during a guided tour: early July to the end of September 2021
Wednesdays at 5 pm (by reservation, phone: +39 0473 633101)
groups on request (phone: +39 348 0609560)